A formal software design process should be followed via the preparation of Functional and Technical Designs prior to setting the system. As far as possible, for efficiency, this should exploit existing set ups.
The first, early task will be to prepare an overall system design, in order that individual modules can be added to it as they are calibrated.
There also some technical elements which will need to be addressed in this, notably:
- minimising run times will be one of the objectives of the software design;
- the issue of the design of specialised user interfaces;
- design of convenient standard output facilities;
- a GIS structure to the outputs;
- file naming and calling conventions.
on this are attached.